Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The way that took me 'high'...


PICT (my undergrad college) was an awesome experience.. Whatever chance I had to come to college, I used to pack my bag and be on my way.. And that way was part of the Mumbai Bangalore highway for most of the 10km journey from my place to PICT.. It was a ride which I always used to look forward to.. The best thing (which I proudly used to tell) was that no signals and free flow traffic, it hardly used to take any time to cover the 10km..

Right through all these 4 years, I have experienced all its moods and seasons.. And the highway too has seen me in all moods, in all times and has been a witness to my emotions during these happening years of my life. And these words are not just to make the highway memories seem rosy, I really mean them..

I remember the initial first year days.. Rain, used to create a havoc literally.. There was hardly any use of raincoat for keeping me dry, as with the speeding vehicles and big trucks, it was more of a protection from muddy water.. And then there was this specific place where a mini lake used to get created and I daily had to take my feet up from the foot rest. People who came by the highway must be visualizing this spot as they are reading now. And this situation in the rainy season (obviously) never changed in these 4 years.. The Sinhagad road bridge was another headache with potholes galore.. Thankfully, they repaired it during the 3rd year..

Another peculiar characteristic was a point on the highway beyond which there used to be a sudden weather change.. This was evident many a times, especially during rainy season and at nights. The road used to completely wet on one side and dry on the other. At nights, the temperature used to drop considerably as I used to cross that area..

Nights and very early mornings has been a time that I have been on the highway many a times. I llllloooooved driving during these times.. And I got ample opportunities, be it the Purushottam play practice, the robotics preparation late nights, the 'marlelya nights' during PL's, the Amdocs project nights.. Used to be all still and silent, chilly cool.. Shivering yet enjoying. Remember myself singing at the top of my voice at 5am or 12.30-1am sometimes as I went back home..

This also has been the way who has witnessed the long chats and drives with my close friends.. Be it the daily college gossip while going to college daily.. talking loudly so that the person behind gets to hear you in the speedy wind.. sharing problems and happiness.. some lovely moments in the awesome weather that used to be there.. the last minute prep talk before going to exams.. this list can go on.. numerous memories flood my mind as I write now..

It has also witnessed the minor accidents that we had.. some might be lucky to have a clean sheet in this respect.. The sights of cars who have had accidents used to be really bad sometimes.. Saw a very bad accident myself too.. Used to keep our speeds in check..

Now here at Irvine, the freeway behind our apartment complex always reminds me of the highway.. Not that the size or traffic is any comparable. The highway back home with all the memories, is and always will be very special......

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow !!! Brings back tons of memories ...
God, I miss NH-4... and the destination it led to...

Mrunal said...

"talking loudly so that the person behind gets to hear you in the speedy wind" Multiple likes !!!
Now times have changed to create more memories to cherish later!

Unknown said...

bhaarich... I can still visualise that SPOT where a lot of water used to get accumulated... I miss NH-4 too... Never realised even a drive-way to college can provide so many memories to cherish, until I read this post. I can relate to every single word of this post. Thank you :-)

innermost said...

Nice post shri!!
Though not highway but I have got similar memories on a different way..singing loudly on the bike(but being quite at the signals :-)),picking up friends or waiting for them to pick me up,giving those missed calls before leaving home..those times were awesome..everything was so nice and experience in itself!!
I miss those days too..

innermost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice blog Shriniket!

I can understand how simple things like NH-4 become so special, when you don't have those around.

The road left behind really!

Care,
Neer

@mey.. said...

a very touchy and a very good post shri.... :) loved it.... :)

Swapnil Pimpale said...

i can relate to all this :)
I miss NH - 4 too :(
Even today, I never miss a chance to drive on NH - 4

Parag Kale said...

Very nice post ...... loads of memories revisited .... keep posting :)

Mugdha Goel said...

Awesome yaar i totally remember those times on the highway though i mostly used the city route. But i totally remember that day 1st year INC when man we did not look to the left or right and sped across like god knows wat. that was the fastest i have ever driven in my life. Thanks to NH4.

Shriniket said...

@ all NH4'ites :)
Happy to know that it got back your memories as well.. I am sure, whenever we'll remember the times on NH4, it will always bring a smile.. :)

Shweta Shetty said...

Now that I have to travel through crappy city roads I miss that highway all the more. Lovely post. It made me all nostalgic :)